A stripe is a long, rectangular shape that often serves some sort of purpose:
- Highways have white and yellow stripes that direct traffic.
- A credit card has a stripe on the back of it with encoded information.
- A stripe can signify a rank for a person in the military.
- Some prison uniforms have stripes to indicate that the person wearing the uniform is a prisoner.
A group of stripes might be part of a design on clothing or furniture, or stripes exist naturally on animals.
- Zebras are known by their black-and-white stripes.
- Some caterpillars have stripes.
- A skunk has a white stripe along its back.
- A Sumatran tiger has stripes.
- This women is wearing a shirt that has black and white horizontal stripes.
- She’s wearing a striped shirt. (The word "striped" is an adjective.)
- This shirt has vertical stripes.
- Sometimes we refer to the American flag as "the stars and stripes."
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
Published on August 16, 2017