When gas builds up in a person’s digestive system, he or she might release this gas in the form of a burp.
The word "burp" is often used as a verb:
- I feel like I have to burp.
- It’s not polite to burp on public.
- The woman gently burped her baby.
- The baby was burped by his mother. (passive voice)
- Carbonated beverages can cause a person to burp.
- Children think it’s funny when someone burps in class.
This word can also be used as a noun:
- That was a loud burp.
- The boy let loose with a loud burp in class.
- Burping is natural. Everyone does it. (The word "burping" is a gerund.)
Click here to learn more vocabulary.
Date of publication: February 2, 2017