To groan is to make a noise while in pain or discomfort. A person also groans when complaining about something.
- Sheila is groaning about having to work this weekend.
- The workers groaned when their break came to an end.
- A man groaned in pain as he lay on the sidewalk and waited for an ambulance to arrive.
- We could hear sounds of a woman groaning as we passed by a room in the hospital.
- Everyone in the bar groaned when their favorite soccer team failed to score a goal.
- A muffled groan came from the man who was sitting in the dentist’s office waiting to have a tooth pulled. (The word "groan" is a noun in this sentence.)
- What are you groaning about?
- There’s no sense in groaning about something that you have no control over.
- Please stop your moaning and groaning. (The word "groaning" is a gerund in this sentence.)
- He’s always groaning about his problems.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was published on July 19, 2017.