To bask is to enjoy the warmth of the sun or some other source of heat.
- People who sit on a beach in the summer bask in the sun.
- A person who basks in the sun for too long might get a sunburn.
- My cats bask in the sun when it’s sunny outside.
- Basking before a warm fire on a cold day helps a person feel more comfortable.
He’s basking in the sun.
To bask is also to enjoy positive recognition or love from admirers:
- The young man who won first prize in the competition basked in the applause that came during the awards ceremony.
- Politicians bask in high approval ratings if they do a good job in office.
- Basking in the moment of victory, olympic athletes often drape their country’s flag around their shoulders.
Click here to learn more vocabulary.
Date of publication: March 2, 2017