To approve of something is to say it’s okay.
- The bank approved our request for a loan.
- Vinesha approves of her son’s decision to go into education as a career.
- Almost everyone approves of the new playground equipment.
- I hope my application for the position is approved.
The prefix "dis" is used to make the negative for "approve."
- Roger doesn’t approve of his daughter staying out late at night.
- He disapproves.
- We don’t approve of that kind of behavior.
- We disapprove.
- A majority of Americans disapprove of the way the situation is being handled.
- They strongly disapprove.
The word "approval" is a noun:
- The president of the company gave his approval for the new project before it was started.
- Approval is needed in order to move forward.
- These plans will require the approval of several people.
- The expression on her face shows her disapproval.
- What will it take to get their approval? What will we have to do?
Her loan request was approved.
The bank gave its approval to her loan request.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was published on May 1, 2017.