The word "fashion" refers to style and things that are popular.
- Ripped blue jeans are in fashion right now.
- Kids in high school like to wear clothes that are in fashion.
- Some fashions of the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s are returning.
- Hip-hop music and rap are still in fashion after 30 years of popularity.
- Driving a large truck or SUV is still in fashion, but many people continue to downsize their vehicles due to concerns about the environment.
- It was once the fashion to wear a lot of leather, but now that’s out of style.
- People who insist on wearing silly-looking clothes are said to be slaves to fashion.
- New fashions are introduced to the public at fashion shows.
The word "fashionable" is an adjective.
- Kim likes to wear fashionable clothing.
- It’s fashionable to carry around a cell phone, even if you don’t really need it.
- Baseball caps are very fashionable.
- A person who arrives at a party half an hour late is said to be "fashionably late." (This means it’s okay to be late because so many people do it.)
Many people still like to wear black wherever they go, but now it seems kind of old-fashioned. (old-fashioned = out of date; old)
January 6, 2018