A boat is used for traveling on water. Boats are necessary for many types of commercial and recreational activities.
Many people like to go boating. The word "boating" is a gerund in the following examples:
- It’s fun to go boating in the summer.
- Boating is a popular activity on large lakes in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
- Sail boating requires a little practice, but it’s really fun.
- If you want to go boating, you can rent a boat or buy one.
There are many expressions that are related to or originate from spending time on a boat:
- Don’t rock the boat. (Don’t cause problems with the established order of things.)
- He’s fresh off the boat. (He just arrived from another country.)
- We’re all in the same boat. (We are all having the same experience.)
- Don’t miss the boat. (Don’t miss this opportunity.)
- Whatever floats your boat. (It’s okay to enjoy whatever makes you happy.)
Click here for more vocabulary words.
June 3, 2018