An example is some type of evidence or support to show that something exists, or it helps to demonstrate a point of view. An example also shows how to do a type of activity.
- The teacher asked the students to give her examples of situations that they thought were unfair.
- When Rodney wrote his essay, he was sure to include several examples to support his thesis.
- I’m not sure what this word means. Can you give me an example of how it’s used?
- There are many good examples of 1920s architecture in this neighborhood.
- An artist showed us some examples of his work.
- In Emily Dickinson’s poetry, a student can find many examples of personification.
- A good leader leads by example.
- Tom tries to set an example for his kids.
- When asked for an example of when the man lied, it was easy to find several hundred instances of lying.
- What kind of an example is that to set for young people? (This question is often asked when questioning a person’s pubic behavior.)
The teacher provided her students with several examples of how a hand can be drawn.
The word "exemplify" is a verb:
- The woman exemplifies what a good mother should do for her children.
- This author’s technique perfectly exemplifies how to develop a main character in a novel.
- The soldier exemplified courage under fire as he and his fellow soldiers were attacked by the enemy.
Click here for more vocabulary words.
June 6, 2018