Gold is a very popular and valuable metal all over the world.
- Gold is a precious metal. (precious = rare and valuable)
- Many people own gold in the form of jewelry.
- Gold wedding rings are made with gold, but they are probably not solid gold. (solid gold = 100% gold)
- Olympic medals have some gold in them.
- The price of gold today is at $1300 per ounce.
- Gold was once used as a common form of currency.
- Nowadays, gold is less popular as people prefer currency in the form of paper or digital currency. (currency = money)
- A gold pocket watch was once a man’s prized possession.
- Gold watches are still given as gifts when people retire from their jobs.
- A golden retriever is a popular breed of dog.
- The fur of a golden retriever looks gold. (The word "golden" is an adjective.)
- A goldfish is a popular pet for children.
- It’s not very difficult to take care of a goldfish.
- A goldfish is often kept in a goldfish bowl.
The words "gold" or "golden" are found in some compound nouns and in some expressions.
- A gold rush is a sudden opportunity to make money.
- A gold digger is a person who marries another person solely for access to his or her money.
- Your golden years are those years that you spend in your retirement or when you are elderly.
- If something is as good as gold, it has a high value.
- I have an idea that is as good as gold.
Learn more vocabulary words here.
June 8, 2018