Home is the place where a person lives. The word "home" is different from the word "house." A house is a type of building for one person or a large family. A home can be a house, an apartment, a condominium, a city, a town, a shelter, or even a tent.
- What time do you leave home in the morning?
- After work, I went home to eat dinner.
- Where is your home located?
- What is the city that you call home?
- It always feels good to come home.
- Ted wants to go home, but he has to remain in Moscow for another two weeks.
Here are some well-known statements and expressions regarding home.
- There’s no place like home.
- Home is where the heart is.
- Home sweet home.
The word "home" is used in many compound nouns:
- A baseball player tries to hit a home run in order to score.
- A homemaker is a person who stays at home to take care of domestic responsibilities.
- A person who is traveling homeward or is homeward bound is going home.
- A home builder builds houses and other forms of residential buildings.
- A home buyer is looking for a home to purchase.
- A home seller is hoping to sell his or her home.
- A home boy or home girl is a person who spends a lot of time at home or in a neighborhood. These words are sometimes shortened to homie.
- A doctor who makes home visits and house calls sees his patients and clients in their homes.
Click here for more vocabulary words.
June 11, 2018