A system is a method, a way of doing things, a structure, or a form of organization:
- I have a system in place for organizing paperwork.
- Our company has a unique system of accounting.
- Have you ever used the highway transportation system in the United States?
- A sprinkler system keeps a lawn watered on a regular basis.
- Your body’s respiratory system takes in oxygen and expels carbon dioxide.
- The political system in the United States is dominated by Democrats and Republicans.
- Some acidic food does not agree with my system. (This is what you might hear a person say when talking about food or drink that causes digestive problems.)
- The solar system is the collection of planets that orbit the sun.
In some cases the word "system" is used when expressing unhappiness or criticism of established norms in society:
- You can’t beat the system.
- Don’t let the system get you down.
- We’re all at the mercy of the system.
- Protestors gathered to voice their opposition to the system.
The word "systematic" is an adjective:
- Rodney takes a systematic approach to everything that he does.
- A systematic review of work completed helps to improve quality at our company.
- Continuous improvement is systematically embedded within our organization. (The word "systematically" is an adverb.)
Learn more vocabulary here.
May 25, 2018