If something is tall, its height is high. The measurement is vertical from the bottom to the top.
- A skyscraper is a tall building.
- Basketball players are usually tall.
- Tall trees provide protection for plants and animals.
- A tall ladder is needed to reach areas of a building that are very high.
- There are advantages and disadvantages for people who are tall.
When talking about a person’s height, the word "tall" is used:
- How tall are you?
- Do you know how tall you are?
- I’m five feet, eleven inches tall.
- Jessica is six feet tall. That’s very tall for a woman.
- Jessica is taller than I am.
Here are a few other ways to use the word "tall."
- For astronauts to visit Mars and return to Earth will be a very tall order. (That will be difficult to do.)
- A tall boy is a sixteen-ounce beverage in a can.
- Stories about Paul Bunyan are tall tales. (tall tale = a tremendously exaggerated story)
Paul Bunyan was very tall.
Click here to learn more vocabulary.
October 19, 2018