The word "ball" is a simple and very common word in English. There are a number of different situations in which it is used.
A ball generally looks like this:
This is a beach ball.
- A ball is round.
- A ball bounces.
- A ball rolls.
- A ball can be thrown or kicked.
- Many balls are made of rubber.
- Many sports involve the use of a ball.
When describing things that are round, the word "ball" is often used:
- A balloon is in the shape of a ball.
- An orange is in the shape of a ball.
- Some melons look like large balls.
- The Earth looks like a ball from a distance.
- Planets are spherical and look like balls.
There are some expressions that include the word "ball."
- We had a ball at the party. (a ball = a good time)
- The ball is in your court. (You have to respond to the situation.)
- Keep your eye on the ball. (Pay attention.)
- We have to get the ball rolling. (We have to get started on this project.)
- He refuses to play ball. (play ball = cooperate)
- Let’s play ball. (Let’s play a game, or let’s cooperate.)
Click here to learn more words.
September 2, 2018