To protect is to cover or provide safety.
- An umbrella protects you from the rain.
- Police officers protect us from criminals.
- Gloves and mittens protect your hands from the cold.
- Your home is protected by homeowner’s insurance. (This sentence is in the passive voice, present tense.)
- To protect your identity, be careful about giving out your personal information.
- Protecting your children from harm is your responsibility as a parent.
The words "protected" and "protective" are adjectives:
- Some people feel they are protected if they keep a gun inside their home.
- Car wax provides a protective layer for the exterior of your car.
A mother bear is very protective of her cubs.
The word "protection" is a noun:
- An insurance policy provides protection if you are ever in a car accident.
- A roof provides protection for your home.
- A good helmet gives some protection to a person who rides a bike and gets into an accident.
Click here for my English vocabulary.
September 20, 2018