If something is true, it’s based in fact and it’s authentic. It’s real.
- George is a true friend.
- Peter and Regina say they’re true Americans.
- What is a true American?
- Wanda’s faith in God is strong. She tells everyone she’s a true believer.
- Harold supports free-market economics. He’s a true believer in capitalism.
- Linda and Pat are married. Each of them believes their love is true.
- Ronald showed his true colors when he marched in a parade in support of the rights of migrant workers.
- Everyone listened in fascination to a true story about a man who killed a bear with only his hands.
Linda and Pat remain true to each other.
The opposite of true is false.
- Is that true?
- Is that true or false?
- What she’s saying is true.
- That’s true. It isn’t false.
- The teacher gave us a test today with many true or false questions.
The word "truly" is an adverb similar to the word "really."
- This is a truly significant event.
- That test was truly difficult.
- We were truly impressed by the artist’s work.
- Even though Ted argues with his wife a lot, he truly loves her.
Click here for more vocabulary.
December 14, 2019