When something is temporary, it lasts for a short time. It is not permanent. Some temporary situations are predictable while others are not.
- Gilda broke her leg and can’t go back to work. This is a temporary situation.
- My muffler has a hole in it. I made a temporary repair that should last until I can get the muffler fixed.
- This is a temporary fix.
- Our company is looking for temporary workers to fill a few positions over the summer.
- Dyed hair is temporary. Eventually, the natural hair color returns.
- This is just temporary.
The word "temporarily" is an adverb:
- Hodan is temporarily out of work. She’ll probably find another job soon.
- This store is temporarily closed. It will reopen after an important repair is made.
- The flights leaving from the airport are temporarily delayed due to the bad weather.
- The machine is temporarily out of order.
The store is temporarily closed.
Sometimes the word "temporary" is shortened to "temp."
- He’s working for a temp agency. (A temp agency provides temporary workers.)
- He’s a temp.
- We hired some temps from a temp agency.
- She’s no longer a temp. Now she works for the company as a permanent worker.
Click here for more vocabulary.
February 20, 2019