A band is a group of people who gather together for a common purpose, usually for the purpose of playing music. People in the United States can belong to many different kinds of bands.
- Musicians who like jazz can join a jazz band.
- High school students can choose to participate in a variety of brass bands that include trumpets, trombones, and saxophones.
- Marching bands play at football games and other events.
- An orchestra is a type of band composed of stringed instruments like violins, violas, and cellos.
- When I was in high school, I played bass in a rock band.
- Military parades feature military bands that play patriotic music.
- People in the 1940s and 1950s danced to popular big band music.
They play music in a German oompah band.
A band is also a device that holds things together.
- A rubber band can be wrapped around a newspaper to keep all of the sections together.
- Plastic bands wrapped around caps on bottles snap when the cap is removed to indicate someone has opened the bottle.
- Arm bands and wrist bands are worn to show support for a particular cause.
- A wedding band is worn on the finger to indicate that a person is married.
- If you cut your finger, you can wrap a band aid around the cut to stop the bleeding.
Click here for more vocabulary.
June 10, 2019