A crop is a plant that is grown and cultivated for human consumption in the form of food or some other item that can be made from a plant.
- Corn is an important crop in the midwestern part of the United States.
- The soybean plant is another important crop.
- Cotton is a cash crop that is grown in the southern parts of the United States. Clothes are made from cotton. (cash crop = a profitable crop that is sold as a raw material for producing products.)
- Crops are planted in the spring.
- Farmers try to get their crops in after the ground has thawed. (thaw = unfreeze)
- Many crops are stored and then processed after they are harvested in the fall.
- A farmer who grows crops depends on the weather to make a living.
- What kinds of crops are grown in the country that you are from?
A tractor is used to harvest crops.
When the word "crop" is used as a verb, it means to cut something such as an image, a picture, clothing, or hair.
- I used Photoshop to crop some pics I took with my phone.
- It is necessary to crop a photo that is too large for a picture frame.
- Harriet cropped a sweatshirt in order for it to look more fashionable.
- Cindy got her hair cropped in a modern French style.
Click here for more vocabulary.
June 30, 2019