The word "police" is a plural noun used to refer to local authorities who are responsible for law enforcement. Here are some examples of how the word "police" might be used:
- We need to call the police.
- Someone should call the police.
- When the police arrived, they arrested a person who was causing a disturbance.
- The police in our area do a good job of enforcing the law.
- My friend, Armando, is a police officer.
- Police officers drive around in squad cars
He’s riding in a squad car.
- A police officer wears a uniform.
- Police in the United States carry guns.
- Nowadays, many police officers wear body cameras in order to record their encounters with the public.
- Most police officers–the vast majority of them–are not corrupt.
- Don’t try to bribe a police officer. (bribe = a gift of money in exchange for favorable treatment)
Click here for more vocabulary.
June 28, 2019