Glue is a sticky substance that is used for putting things together, repairing things, and making things. Glue holds things together.
- Children use glue for putting together art projects.
- Carpenters use glue to join pieces of wood together.
- Rubber cement is a type of glue.
- Super glue is useful for repairing things that are ceramic or glass.
- Glue needs to dry after it is applied.
The word "glue" can also be used as a verb:
- Cindy glued two pieces of paper together.
- When the lamp broke, Peter glued it back together.
- After something is glued together, you have to let it dry.
- Should I glue these pieces of wood together or would it be better to use screws?
He’s gluing something together.
We often use the word "glue" figuratively in these popular expressions:
- Those two stick together like glue. (They are very close and have a good relationship.)
- Those kids are glued to the TV. (Their attention is focused entirely on the television program.)
- Sandra is glued to her desk. (She’s so busy, so can’t leave her desk.)
Click here for more vocabulary.
May 13, 2019