A surge is a sudden increase. This word is used when describing storms, problems, popular demand, and electricity, among other things.
- A power surge ruined some of our computers.
- To protect against a power surge, you should use a surge protector.
- Ocean coastlines are affected by storm surge during a hurricane. A surge of water suddenly rises and this causes flooding.
- There has been a surge of interest in yoga in recent years.
- Runners report feeling a surge of energy as they approach the finish line in a race.
- Purchases of medical supplies are surging as fears of the corona virus sweep the planet.
- The number of people infected by the virus is surging in some countries.
- The numbers of U.S. troops engaged in combat surge when there is a conflict.
Click here for more vocabulary.
March 1, 2020