Yellow Level Quiz #20 – Present Perfect Tense or Past Tense (ANSWERS)
Directions: In each of these sentences, write the correct form of the verb. Choose between the present perfect tense or the past tense. Some of these sentences are negative.
Example: Maria _________________ California several times. (visit) Maria has visited California several times.
1. Jared _____hurt__________ his back while working in his yard. (hurt)
2. I _________got_________ a haircut last week. (get)
3. They ______have lived________ in that house since 2012. (live)
4. Mario ______was_________ a lawyer when he lived in Mexico. (be)
5. That statue ________has been________ on the plaza for over 80 years, and it still looks good. (be)
6. The students _____didn’t understand____ the math problem until the teacher explained it to them. (understand, negative)
7. I have to admit, I ___have___ never ___eaten_____ sushi before. (eat, negative)
8. Vanessa can’t count the number of times she ______has seen______ that movie. (see)
9. Todd _____didn’t go__________ to work yesterday because he was sick. (go, negative)
10. I ________haven’t had_________ much sleep lately. (have, negative)
Directions: Use the present perfect tense or the past tense for each question.
Example: How long __________ they _____________ there? (live, past tense) . How long did they live there?
1. How long ____have__ you ___worked___ for that company? (work, present perfect tense)
2. At what time ____did___ the plane ___arrive___? (arrive, past tense)
3. How many times ___have____ I _____told_____ you not to do that? (tell, present perfect tense)
4. ____Did__ she _____get_____ the job she interviewed for? (get, past tense)
5. Why ___did___ it _____take_____ so long for them to finish their work? (take, past tense)
6. ____Have___ you _____fed______ the cat yet? (feed, present perfect tense)
7. Where ____did____ Tom _____put_____ those boxes? (put, past tense)
8. What the heck ___has____ _______happened___ to my car? (happen, present perfect tense)
9. What time ____did___ he ____leave____? (leave, past tense)
10. __Has___ it _____been____ that long since we last saw each other? (be, present perfect tense)