1. She’s sitting by her computer and talking on the phone.
(by = next to)
2. These beautiful buildings are by the water.
Would you like to live or work by a river or a lake?
3. These office buildings are by a park.
4. They’re sitting by each other and watching a movie.
5. You can learn English by going online.
(by = method. When "by" means method or way, it’s usually followed by a gerund.)
6. You can split wood by using an axe.
| 7. He’s a loan shark. By making loans at high interest rates, he has become very rich. |
|8. He’s a surfer. He rides on ocean waves by using a surfboad. |
9. You can get around this city very easily by bus.
(by = method of transportation: …by bus, ….by train, …..by car, …..by taxi, …..by plane, etc.)
|10. The fastest way to get around this city is by subway. |
11. He needs to get to his meeting by 5:30.
(by = before)
12. These buildings used to stand side-by-side until they fell down.
(side-by-side = together)