Valerie and her husband got married ten years ago when they were both very young. She was twenty, and her husband, Tad, was twenty-one. They thought that getting married was the the right thing to do at the time. They both believed that they were in love with each other.
However, as time passed, Valerie and Tad realized that they were not very compatible. They argued with each other all the time and rarely agreed on anything. Tad started to stay out late at night, and sometimes he didn’t return to their house until the next day. Valerie became very suspicious of his behavior and this resulted in even more arguments.
Now Valerie is working with a divorce lawyer. The lawyer will represent Valerie and help her with the legal arrangements that are involved in a divorce. Fortunately, they don’t have children. They only have to work out a way to divide their assets: a house, a car, furniture, and some investments.
Valerie’s friends told her that going through a divorce would be difficult. But she didn’t realize how hard it would be. She wants to get married again in the future, but not any time soon. She’s very depressed. Hopefully, over time, she will get over it.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Now you try it. Read the paragraph above. If you have a microphone, you can record your voice.
How much do you remember from the reading? Fill in the blanks.
- 1A: How old was Valerie when she got married?
- 1B: She ___________________.
- 2A: What did she and her husband realize?
- 2B: She and her husband ______________________.
- 3A: Who is helping Valerie with her divorce?
- 3B: A ___________________.
- 4A: How does Valerie feel about this situation?
- 4B: She feels __________________.
- 5A: Does Valerie want to get married again?
- 5B: ___________________.
1. She was twenty. 2. She and her husband realized that they weren’t compatible. 3. A lawyer is helping her with her divorce. 4. She feels depressed. 5. Yes, she does.
back return to the reading room