On a really hot day in the summer, people will do just about anything to beat the heat. That’s why Marjorie is going to the lake today. She’s going to meet her friends there to go swimming. She’s riding her bike to Lake Barney, which is just outside of the town where she lives.
It’s still early in the day, but the temperature is already close to 90 degrees. In the afternoon, the temperature is expected to be over 100 degrees. Marjorie’s house doesn’t have air conditioning, so it gets really hot inside. She and her two other roommates use window fans to blow air around the inside of the house. That helps keep their house cool a little but not much.
So instead of sweating inside a hot house, Marjorie is meeting three of her friends from school: Elena, Susan, and Joy. They all meet at this lake regularly because it’s so close to town. They brought turkey and cheese sandwiches, potato salad, a watermelon, and iced tea. They’ll spend the entire day swimming, eating, and having a good time together.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Now you try it. Read the paragraph above. If you have a microphone, you can record your voice.
How much do you remember from the reading? Fill in the blanks.
- 1A: How is Marjorie getting to the lake?
- 1B: She ___________________.
- 2A: How hot is it going to get in the afteroon?
- 2B: It ______________________.
- 3A: What does Marjorie and her roommates use to keep their house cool?
- 3B: They ___________________.
- 4A: What kind of sandwiches are they going to eat at the lake?
- 4B: They __________________.
- 5A: What do they have to drink?
- 5B: They ___________________.
1. She is riding her bike. 2. It is going to be over 100 degrees. 3. They use window fans. 4. They are going to eat turkey and cheese sandwiches. 5. They have iced tea.