Learn American English Online.com
Red Level Quiz #16 - used to
Directions: Change the past tense verb to "used to" + the main verb. (10 points)
Example: She worked for that company in the past.
She used to work for that company.
1. He lived in Florida for a long time. Now he doesn't.
He ______________________ in Florida.
2. Leonard was really heavy until he lost a hundred pounds.
Leonard ________________________ really heavy.
3. Maria played piano for ten years before she stopped.
Maria _________________________ the piano.
4. She smoked for ten years before she decided to quit.
5. I ate a lot of candy when I was a kid.
I _______________________________ a lot of candy.
6. They were married. Now they aren't.
7. They spoke Spanish every day when they lived in Colombia.
They _________________________ Spanish every day.
8. Alice did her shopping every Saturday last year. Now she shops on Sunday.
Alice ____________________ her shopping every Saturday.
9. You called me almost every day, but then you stopped calling.
You ___________________________ me every day.
10. Blake used a lot of bad language when he was younger, but now he doesn't do that.
Blake _______________________ a lot of bad language.
Directions: Change the past tense verb to "never" + "used to" + the main verb. (5 points)
Example: They often have loud parties--but not in the past.
They never used to have loud parties.
1. You speak English all the time now, but you didn't speak English very much in the past.
You ____________________________ English.
2. She goes to work eight hours a day, five days a week, but last year....
She ______________________________ to work.
3. Saul takes a lot of medicine.
When he was younger, he _________________________ medicine.
4. I need glasses to see things that are far away.
I ______________________________ glasses when I was a child.
5. Up until now, Ted wasn't overweight.
Ted ________________________________ overweight.
Click here for the answers.