Red Level Quiz #17 – be used to
Directions: Rewrite each sentence. Use “(be) used to” and a gerund for each sentence. (10 points)
Example: He didn’t know how to drive a car until last year.
Now, he is used to driving a car.
1. She saw snow for the first time when she moved to Minnesota.
Now, she _____________________________________ snow in the winter.
2. Thomas had never worked early in the morning until he began his new job.
Now, he ______________________________________ in the morning.
3. The students didn’t speak English on their first day of class.
Now, they ____________________________________ every day in class.
4. Jerry didn’t walk very much before he moved to Jamaica.
Now, he _______________________________________ everywhere he goes.
5. I didn’t take the bus very often before I moved to Chicago.
Nowadays, I _____________________________________the bus all over the city.
6. Bill and Linda are parents. They started having kids ten years ago.
They ________________________________________ parents.
7. Belinda rarely shopped after midnight before she got her new job.
Now, she _____________________________ after midnight.
8. We do our own housework.
We ____________________________ our cleaning ourselves.
Part A. (continued)
9. The police go to the house across the street all the time.
The police ____________________________ there for all kinds of problems.
10. I read the newspaper online every day, but ten years ago I rarely did that.
Now, I _________________________________ the paper online.
Part B. Rewrite each sentence with “be used to” in the negative form. Do not use a gerund.
Example: Maria doesn’t like this hot weather.
She isn’t used to the heat.
1. Terry doesn’t like her new job.
She ________________________ the schedule.
2. Sam hates driving to work because it takes so long to get there.
He __________________________ a long drive every day.
3. I don’t want to go into the water just yet.
I ___________________________ the cold temperature of the water.
4. The children seem kind of tired this afternoon.
They _________________________ a long day of school after three months of summer vacation.
5. You don’t like to drive a car with a stick shift.
You ___________________________ a manual transmission.
Click here for the answers.