Learn American English Online.com
Red Level Quiz #18 - conjunctions
Directions: Choose among these conjunctions to fill in the blanks: and, but, or, so
Example: Tom likes peanut butter ______ jelly sandwiches.
Tom likes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
1. You have a choice: You can have vanilla _______ chocolate ice cream.
2. We went to the beach, _______ we had to leave early because it started to rain.
3. It started to rain, ________ we left the beach.
4. Maria works during the week, ________ she works on Saturdays, too.
5. Joe likes football ________ not baseball.
6. The Nelson family grew quickly, ________ they bought a bigger house.
7. The teacher asked the students to be quiet, ________ they weren't listening.
8. Blue ________ red make purple.
9. Which do you like, new furniture _________ old, antique furniture?
10. New York City is a great place to live, ________ an apartment there is very expensive.
Directions: Choose among these conjunctions to fill in the blanks: nor, yet, for (This part is for advanced level students.)
Example: Let me go now, ________ the day is breaking.
Let me go now, for the day is breaking.
1. This tool is not easy to use ________ is it the best choice for this purpose.
2. The protestors refused to quit the demonstration, ________ they believed their cause was just.
3. Some stars in the sky seem so close, _________ they are really very far away.
4. This store-bought chicken is neither fresh ________ organic.
5. The medicine is strong ________ effective.
6. The United States should welcome new immigrants, ________ it is a country built on the backs of immigrant labor.
7. Todd took an early retirement, ________ he felt either ignored or ridiculed by his coworkers who made his job unbearable.
8. John and Jill have been married for over 50 years, ________ they still find the freshness of romance in their relationship.
9. The repairs on the car were not expected, ________ were they inexpensive.
10. A perfect solution to this problem is neither simple _________ necessary at this moment, so why should we have to deal with it now?
Click here for the answers.