1. Q: What is this? or What are they?
A: It’s a pair of tongs.
A: They’re tongs.
2. Q: What are they used for?
A: They’re used for picking up food.
A: They’re used for grabbing something that’s hot.
3. Q: What might happen if you tried grabbing something hot without these tongs?
A: You might burn yourself.
4. Q: What are some other uses for tongs?
A: You can use tongs for taking salad out of a salad bowl.
A: You can use tongs for reaching into an area that’s too narrow for a hand.
5. Q: Why do tongs stay open all the time?
A: A spring keeps them open. The spring makes it easier to close the tongs on something that you want to pick up.
* Now listen to your teacher pronounce the word "tongs."
Click here for more Think in English exercises.