The word "nut" is a noun. There are a few different kinds of nuts:
| This is a nut. It goes onto a bolt or a screw. |
This is a nut. It’s a pistachio. Do you like to eat nuts?
This is a nut. He works in an office, and his job has made him go mad.
The word "nutty" is an adjective:
- This has a nutty flavor.
- She’s kind of a nutty person.
- His job is making him nutty.
The word "nut" is found in some common expressions:
- The store sells everything, from soup to nuts. (The store has a wide range of merchandise.)
- It feels like I got kicked in the nuts. (nuts = testicles. Be careful if you say this. It’s kind of vulgar, and only men use it.)
- Aw nuts! (Darn! I’m disappointed.)
- You’re nuts! (You’re wrong.)
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on August 15, 2015. It was updated on June 14, 2015.