The word "prior" is an adjective that means before.
- What was your prior address? (What was your address before you moved to a new location?)
- The thief had some prior convictions. (He was found guilty of other crimes.)
- Prior to moving to the United States, Jorge was a doctor in Mexico.
- Prior to the mid 1990s, Most people didn’t really know how to use the internet.
The word "priority" is related to "prior." A priority is something important that you do or something that you consider before doing other things.
- Getting a college degree is a priority for Gladys.
- Don considers the welfare of his family to be his top priority.
- Kevin’s priorities are all mixed up. He’d rather spend time going out with his friends late at night than do his homework.
- The reduction of gun violence in the United States has become one of Barack Obama’s top priorities as President.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
January 10, 2013