To obsess or be obsessed is to think constantly about a particular activity, object, or person. Generally, to be obsessed with anything isn’t considered to be healthy for a person’s physical or mental state; however, many people use this word to indicate desire or need.
- Jennifer is obsessed with her Facebook page.
- Jim obsesses over his grades.
- Michelle is obsessed with losing weight, even though she’s kind of skinny.
- The old man is obsessed over things that aren’t that important–such as the leaves on his lawn.
- The police detective became obsessed by the pursuit of a murderer.
- I’m obsessed with learning how to play the guitar.
Use the word "obsession" as a noun:
- Her obsession with her weight lead to her anorexia.
- My neighbor has an unhealthy obsession with guns.
- Our manager’s obsession with perfection caused several employees to leave the company.
- The man’s obsession with finding the perfect soul mate was the reason for several failed relationships.
Click here to learn more words.
This page was first published on November 15, 2013.