If something is not renewing itself or it’s no longer fresh, it might be stagnant. This word is often used to describe water, air, and business activity.
- Stagnant water is a place where mosquitoes like to breed.
- Lily pads* grow very easily in a stagnant pond.
- If you want to reduce the insect population in your area, get rid of the stagnant water.
- The air in this room feels stagnant. We need to open a window.
- Stagnant air in a slum becomes a breeding place for disease.
- When a country suffers from a stagnant economy, it must do something new to stimulate growth.
- During a period of stagnation, it’s hard to find a job. (The word "stagnation" is a noun.)
* This pond is filled with lily pads. The water in the pond is stagnant.
Click here to learn more words.
May 24, 2014