If something is lethal, that means it can kill a person. This word is very similar to the adjective, "deadly."
- The man was carrying a lethal weapon. (He was carrying a deadly weapon.)
- If you take too much medicine, the result might be lethal.
- In states were the death penalty is legal, convicted murderers may receive lethal injection as a form of punishment.
- A lethal amount of alcohol consumed in a very short amount of time led to the death of the young woman.
- A bite from a scorpion could be lethal.
You might hear the word "lethal" when someone exaggerates an effect or a result:
- The cologne that guy is wearing is lethal.
- Randy claims that his hands are lethal weapons because of his expertise in karate.
- The woman’s overpowering beauty and angelic singing voice had a lethal effect on the audience.
Note: This word uses an unvoiced "th" sound in the middle of it. If you have trouble with the pronunciation of this sound, click here.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
November 14, 2015