A mother is a woman who has children or is responsible for raising children.
- Larissa is the mother of four children.
- She’s a good mother.
- Tanya would like to be a mother someday.
- She wants to become a mother.
- Several mothers of children on this street are at home during the day.
- My mother’s favorite flower was a rose. (The word "mother" in this sentence is singular and possessive.)
The words "mom" and "mommy" are common substitutes for the word "mother."
- Rick’s mom is from Venezuela.
- The mom next door has two children.
- Larissa is a good mom.
- She’s a stay-at-home mom. (She doesn’t have a job outside her home, but she still works by taking care of her kids and her home.)
- Tina is looking for her mommy.
- Brandon says he has two mommies.
- Harold calls his mom "mama."
The mother or your mother is your grandmother or grandma.
- We’re going to my grandmother’s house this weekend.
- George loves his grandma’s cooking.
- Charlene lives with her grandmother.
- My great-grandmother lived until the age of 92. (great-grandmother = mother of your grandmother)
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
July 8, 2016