A person who hesitates takes extra time before making a decision or taking an action.
- Harpeet never hesitates when someone offers her chocolate.
- Oscar hesitated before entering the office because it looked like the wrong room.
- At a stop light, Amy hesitated when the light turned green and saved herself from getting into an accident.
- I think you’re hesitating.
- Why are you hesitating?
- You shouldn’t hesitate in accepting a job offer if you really want it.
- If you want to get that new computer on sale, don’t hesitate. The sale won’t last long.
The words "hesitation" and "hesitancy" are nouns:
- Tom showed no hesitation when it came to accepting the offer of a job.
- I sense a little hesitancy. Are you sure you want to do this?
- There was a note of hesitancy in the young man’s voice when he said he wanted to marry his girlfriend.
- After approval from the city, construction of the building was begun without hesitation.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
Date of publication: November 10, 2016