Phony means fake. A phony thing is not real, or it’s a bad imitation of something original. A phony person does not present himself or herself honestly. You can use "phony" as an adjective or as a noun.
- That guy is so phony. (adjective)
- He’s a big phony. (noun)
- Tanya doesn’t really love her husband. Their marriage is phony.
- Richard didn’t really make over a million dollars last year. His claims of success were phony.
- Melissa created a phony degree for herself in order to convince others that she graduated from college.
- People who are materialistic and superficial are phony.
- The offer that we received in the mail promised us big profits on an investment. The offer turned out to be phony.
- It was a phony offer.
- A person who makes phony promises is a liar.
- A person who sells phony merchandise is a swindler and a cheat.
- A person who makes phony money is called a counterfeiter.
- If you share personal information on a phony website, you might have your identity stolen.
He made a bunch of phony promises to people in order to get elected.
You can learn more English vocabulary here.
August 16, 2018