To weep is to cry.
- The man began to softly weep when he realized his cat had run away.
- The children wept as they watched the end of a very sad movie.
- Why is she weeping? What’s the matter?
- There was a lot of weeping during the memorial services for the young man who died suddenly.
- It’s hard to ignore the sound of someone weeping.
The word "weeping" is also used to describe a type of tree: the weeping willow.
- Weeping willows thrive in wet soil conditions.
- You will find many weeping willow trees along the banks of rivers and lakes in the midwestern parts of the United States. (bank = the shore of a lake or river)
Learn more vocabulary here.
Published on March 2, 2018.