To prosper is to do well financially or in some other way that accumulates wealth, whatever form that wealth might take.
- Natalie has prospered following her graduation from college with a degree in engineering.
- Ted is prospering as a real estate agent.
- My Egyptian friend, Abdi, is prospering as the owner of over 100 camels.
- People who work hard enough generally prosper.
- Cheaters never prosper. (This is a popular expression. It means that people who cheat can never really claim to be successful.)
The word "prosperity" is a noun:
- Prosperity comes to those who are willing to work hard.
- People work hard to achieve prosperity for themselves and others.
- A country measures its prosperity by its gross domestic product or GDP.
- Some people measure their prosperity by how many children they have.
- We live in an age when prosperity can be enjoyed by an increasing percentage of people worldwide.
A person’s prosperity is reflected in the place where he or she lives. A person who lives in a mansion is likely to be very prosperous.
A person or a thing can be described by using the adjectives "prosperous" or "prospering."
- Norway is a prosperous nation.
- Amazon is a very prosperous company.
- Many prospering new businesses have some connection to information technology.
- I wish for you a prosperous life.
Click here for more vocabulary.
April 16, 2019