Word of the Day – March 2018 Quiz #69
Directions: Choose the best word to complete each sentence or question.
1. An athlete who takes a ___________ intentionally tries to lose a competition, usually for a reason unknown to spectators and fans.
2. The buildings of the city were reduced to ___________ after several months of intense fighting.
3. A person who has ___________ with his car can take it to a mechanic to get it fixed.
4. When water began to ___________ into Tom’s basement, he needed to find the cause quickly.
5. Without a firm grasp on a ball, a baseball player or a football player might __________ it.
6. It’s wise to keep a ___________ of miles traveled in order to learn how much time and money are spent traveling.
7. Is it possible to totally ___________ human suffering from famine, war, and disease?
8. So that Alicia doesn’t ___________ her teeth at night, she wears a special mouth insert that protects her teeth.
9. Joe Biden served under Barck Obama as ___________ President.
10. John Edwards had a __________ with a woman who was not his wife, and this ruined his political career.
11. An important ___________ of a teacher is to keep daily attendance.
12. When water is placed on a hot stove it begins to __________ before it boils.
13. It’s hard to listen to a person __________ without feeling some compassion.
14. If one leg of a table is shorter than the other three, it will probably ___________.
15. A phlebotomist needs to find a ___________ when drawing blood from a patient.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
Answers: 1. dive; 2. rubble; 3. trouble; 4. seep; 5. bobble; 6. log; 7. eliminate; 8. clench;
9. vice; 10. fling; 11. task; 12. bubble; 13. weep; 14. wobble; 15. vein
Click here for a printable version
of this quiz.